The name 'Epping' is derived from Epping Forest in Essex, England.
The Wallumedegal Aboriginal tribe lived in the area between the Lane Cove River and Parramatta River which was known as Walumetta.
In 1792, Governor Phillip began the granting of parcels of lands to marines and the area was referred to on Phillip's maps as the Field of Mars, named after the Roman Field of Mars probably because of the military link.
It contained the area of what is now Epping, along with the surrounding suburbs of Ryde and Marsfield.
Epping railway station was originally called 'Field of Mars' and then was changed to Carlingford. The first post office opened as East Carlingford. To avoid confusion, the postal department suggested changing the name of the railway station to East Carlingford but strong opposition led to other names being suggested such as Corella and East Lynne.
In 1899 the suburb name of Epping was adopted after suggestion by a local landowner William Midson (1849-1924), after a town near Epping Forest in Essex, where his father was born.